Your questions will be answered by people with actual property tax experience

Frequently Asked Questions

What do you charge?

For business personal property renditions and protests, there is an annual flat fee and contingency fee schedule based on the value of the property. The flat fee is an annual charge for the service of preparing and filing your rendition. The contingency fee is applied to your TOTAL PROPERTY TAX SAVINGS only in the event that your property value argument must be made at the appeal process level. Contact for more information.

If I hire Bettencourt Tax Advisors, what does BTA do for me?

BTA will manage your BPP deadlines, file your rendition and if necessary file a protest on your behalf. Should it be necessary to file a protest for you, BTA will represent you at the informal hearing, the formal hearing, and the judicial appeal should you choose to litigate.

When is the last day I can sign up for a protest?

Business Personal Property late sign-ups will be accepted in Harris county only for the 2018 property tax season on Friday, May 18th. Please contact our Commercial Services team at to sign up!

Retain your I-File Number then contact BTA's  Commercial Services team at 713-263-6100 on Friday, May 18th.

Sign-Up Today! We have walk-in Wednesdays throughout January, February, and March for you to visit with one of our consultants one-on-one about your property tax issues. If you cannot make it on Wednesdays contact our customer service team to schedule an appointment.

"Walk-in Wednesdays" is a great opportunity to review any issues you have. Our consultants are in hearings starting in April, so sign up today and take advantage of this great program! 

If you have any questions, please contact our commercial service team at

Typically, you have 30 days from the day you receive your notice from the Appraisal District for a protest to be filed on your property appraisal, or May 15th at the county appraisal district, in general. Please sign up immediately upon receipt of your notice to ensure your protest is filed on time. You can protest accounts certified after May 15th. Contact BTA for assistance.


How will we communicate about information concerning my property?

You will receive e-mails from BTA about additional information that might be needed for your hearing, hearing results, and judicial appeal and arbitration deadlines.

What do I do if the county has incorrect information on record for my property?

Call BTA. We will work with the Appraisal District to rectify any incorrect information shown on your property record. This would be done while protesting your property value and could contribute to lowering the appraised value on your property.

What other Business Personal Property Services does BTA provide?

We have a dedicated BPP team that can review your exemption oprions, assessment notices, and BPP history; as well as file corrections, if needed.

If you need additional information, please call BTA at (713)263-6100, or e-mail us at